Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Tale of Old Wives

Sadly, the title for this post has little to do with the actual content. I just liked it, and didn't know if there would ever be an opportunity to use it in a relevant manner. And so I decided to throw caution to the wind, and here we are. 

I've recently been diagnosed with, what I fear could be, a self-perpetuating affliction of my health. For several weeks now, I've experienced some discomfort in my abdominal region. It's been persistent enough that, after two months, I finally decided to see a doctor. His diagnosis: gastritis, or possibly an early ulcer. His treatment: medicine, which, I discovered sometime later, costs over $200 for a 30 day supply. 

I'm not sure if you're aware, but gastritis (and ulcers, for that matter) are largely caused by stress. That's no old wives' tale (see how I tied that in there?), it's true; I looked it up on the internet. Stress, often times, on the other hand, is money-related. In other words, spending $200 on the aforementioned medication could be a source of stress. Gastritis, once more, is caused by stress, which brings me full circle. 

I'm beginning to think the makers of Nexium are onto something. 

I've said too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment